KINGSTON SHIRT

KINGSTON SHIRT
BLACK

Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16th, 2010

So I promised to keep you all updated on a consistent basis. This last Friday was pretty crazy. I got to the NICU about 3 pm and things seemed pretty heated. Kingston's potassium levels were at extremely dangerous levels. The nurses were thinking that this could be related to his kidney issue. (they had seen a blood clot there before) They ordered an emergency ultra sound to see what was going on in there. I was so nervous and freaked out. Every thought from serious chronic problems to survival were racing through my brain. They also had stopped his feeds and given him an i.v. He was getting insulin and hydrocortizone for the potassium. He was hooked up to this scary machine that was monitoring his heart better because they were really concerned about it and he almost had to be re-intubated. I couldn't handle being there while they were doing the ultrasound so i had to walk out and call Christian and tell him to get there as soon as he could. I was so worried. While I was watching, before I walked out, I saw this huge black blob in the middle of the kidney that I thought for sure must be a huge blood clot. I was too nervous to ask if that was what it was. Turns out it was fluid and there was no blood clot to be found. His air ways were visable on both sides. PHEW! So after all that, they started him back on full feeds on Saturday and took away the scary heart machine and insulin. They will contine the hydrocortizone for AWHILE. They think that his potassium got too high because they were weening him off of it, but he still needs it. Luckily, there should be no long term affects from him getting it because it is such a small amount. He seems to be pretty stable for the most part. Last night he was very apnic? ...i'm sure i spell everything wrong. and his CO2 levels were high and nurse Jackie :) thought it may be a sign of infection. Again i was so worried, but when i called back at 6 this morning after they took the labs, it seems he just needed a blood transfusion, but no sign of infection. When the doctors and nurses warned me about this experience being an up and down rollercoaster, they weren't kidding. It's been crazy. My kid is only 6 weeks old and he's already giving me grey hairs and wrinkles. :) But everytime i look at him it is so worth it. Last night Christian got to do skin to skin with him and seeing his little body in my husbands arms and the look on his face, made me realize how lucky i am to have such a wonderful little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment